There are plenty of good and reasonable reasons why one might want to set up Windows 10 backups. A backup can help you restore your files and system with little to no data loss, whenever something goes wrong or gets deleted by mistake. Unfortunately, the backup or downside causes a loss of space as these files are considered to fill up your hard drive, especially and particularly when the devices are small-sized.
However it is always recommended that the user should maintain automatic system backups for safety, Windows will fill up your drive with unwanted backup files that you can delete from time to time and even monthly or yearly, including older Windows update files itself as well. Deleting backups is very important and if you want to know how to delete backup files in Windows 10, here’s what you need to do and steps you need to take.
Deleting Windows File History and Backups
Windows 10 offers a far better system for regular file backups than any of its older Windows versions, all thanks to a built-in file backup system. Copies of files in certain critical folders are saved on a regular and timely basis by using the windows files history option, from every 10 minutes to once daily (depending on what you have set in the system), with copies saved indefinitely.
But with passing time, this can mean a vast increase in the storage space being used and leading to different problems with the system. If you want to know how to delete backup files in Windows 10, deleting your Windows File History backups should be the first and foremost task on your do-to list.
- To start with, you’ll need to open the Windows Settings menu—right-click the Windows Start menu and press Settings. From here just press Update & Security > Backup. If you’re using Windows File History already, press the More options button present there.
- In the Backup options menu, you can change how often file backups are made or how often you wish to take the backup and how often they’re saved before being deleted(time span). You can change these under the Back up my files and Keep my backups drop-down menus there.
The Keep my backups option is set to Forever by default, by changing this to delete backups every month, or when space is needed, will increase your available disk space and reduce space problem.
- You also have the option to disable Windows File History entirely by pressing the Stop using this drive option available in the Backup options menu. This will remove your current Windows file backup drive, hence disabling the feature entirely and completely.
- If you want to immediately remove any saved backup files in or kept by File History, all you need to do is right-click the Windows Start menu and press the Windows PowerShell (Admin) option.
- In the PowerShell window that appears, you have to type a certain command (fhmanagew. exe-cleanup 0). If the command is successfully taken, then a window pop-up for confirmation.
If you want to clear space after a major Windows 10 update, you should start by first deleting the Windows.old folder that are available still in the system This folder is automatically created as a backup of your older Windows installation when a major Windows update takes place, as this is an inbuilt option of Windows.
The best part here is that you don’t have to worry about deleting this folder in most cases—Windows will automatically remove it a month after an upgrade takes place.
Steps for Fast Removal
- Open Control Panel form the system.
- Then select system and security option.
- Click on the system now.
- Click system protection available in the left pane of the screen.
- Now on the system protection tab, click on the configure option.
- Click on the delete option now.
- After this click on the OK button to complete the operations done above.
Now backup files are deleted from your system.
The thing to keep in mind is that you won’t be able to restore the older Windows installation once you do this, however, so make sure that any updates or new installations are working correctly before you proceed and you fully update your system till the latest available version before any removal.
Once Done with All Cleanup and Clear Up Disk Space of Windows 10
These are must to do steps that one should definitely do to clear up the backup space.
By clearing up backup space frequently one can run his/her system smoothly without hanging it up or any other kind of problem.
There are also several videos available regarding the same. One can anytime watch and learn how to remove or delete backup in windows 10.