Trucking accidents are unfortunately common in Houston and across Texas. Large trucks weigh 20-30 times more than passenger vehicles and when they collide, the injuries are often catastrophic or fatal. If you or a loved one has been injured in a trucking accident in Houston, it is important to contact an experienced Houston trucking accident attorney as soon as possible. Here’s what you need to know.
Common Causes of Trucking Accidents
There are many factors that can contribute to truck crashes. Some of the most common causes include:
- Driver Fatigue – Truckers often drive long hours with little rest. Drowsy driving impairs reaction times and judgement.
- Speeding – Trucks require much more time and distance to brake. Excessive speed often leads to losing control.
- Distracted Driving – Actions like texting, eating, or adjusting the radio take the driver’s attention off the road.
- Impaired Driving – Drug or alcohol use by the truck driver slows reaction time and impacts decision making.
- Improper Maintenance – Lack of maintenance checks can result in tire blowouts, brake failure, or other mechanical problems.
- Hazardous Driving Conditions – Poor weather, construction zones, and heavy traffic can all increase accident risk.
- Dangerous Loads – Unbalanced, unsecured, or explosive cargos can shift and cause the truck to overturn.
Common Trucking Accident Injuries
When a multi-ton truck collides with a smaller vehicle or pedestrian, the force of impact is immense. Some of the most common truck accident injuries include:
- Head and brain trauma – concussions, hemorrhages, skull fractures
- Spinal cord damage – paralysis, numbness in extremities
- Broken bones – ribs, pelvis, legs, arms
- Internal organ damage – lacerations, ruptures, bleeding
- Amputations – pinned limbs crushed under truck
- Wrongful death
The costs of medical treatment, rehabilitation, and assistive services for survivors add up quickly. Permanent disabilities often end careers and impact quality of life. Those who have lost a loved one face funeral costs, grief counseling, and loss of companionship.
Why Hire a Houston Trucking Accident Lawyer?
After a trucking collision, injury victims and families of those killed should immediately consult an attorney experienced in handling these types of cases before speaking with insurance adjusters. An attorney can help in the following ways:
- Conduct a thorough investigation into the cause of the accident and who is liable
- Negotiate with insurance companies to pursue the maximum compensation you are owed
- Determine all sources of recovery, including multiple insurance policies
- Manage complex paperwork, legal filings, and proceedings
- Prove damages such as medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering
- Take the case to trial if fair settlement offers are not obtained
The trucking company’s insurance provider will have legal representation working against your interests from the start. An aggressive lawyer levels the playing field and has knowledge of federal regulations that govern the trucking industry.
Trucking Accident Lawsuit Time Limits
Those who wish to file a truck accident lawsuit must act quickly, as Texas imposes strict statute of limitations:
- Personal Injury – 2 years from the date of injury
- Wrongful Death – 2 years from date of passing
- Property Damage – 2 years from date of incident
The clock starts ticking the day of the accident so do not delay. The sooner your attorney can get to work, the better your chances of success. Letting the deadline pass will result in you forfeiting legal rights.
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I accept an initial settlement offer from the insurance company? Do not accept any offer until you speak with an attorney. The insurer’s first priority is resolving the claim for as little money as possible. Your lawyer will determine if the amount truly covers your damages.
What if I was partially at fault for the accident? Texas follows modified comparative negligence rules. You can still recover compensation so long as you were 50% or less at fault. The award amount gets reduced by your percentage of fault.
What damages can I claim in my truck accident lawsuit? You can seek compensation for medical bills, lost earnings, loss of future income, pain and suffering, and other applicable damages. Your lawyer will identify and document every loss stemming from the crash.
Who can file a wrongful death lawsuit after a fatal truck accident? Typically the surviving spouse, children, dependent parents or beneficiaries can make a claim within the two-year time limit. Our firm can advise you on your eligibility.
How long will my truck accident case take to resolve? It depends on many factors, but often truck crash cases take 1-2 years from start to finish. Complex cases involving multiple vehicles and defendants may take longer. Your lawyer will pursue an efficient resolution.
Can I afford legal representation on a contingency fee basis? Yes, our firm handles truck accident lawsuits on a contingency fee. We only collect if we obtain compensation on your behalf. You pay nothing upfront.
Let a Houston Trucking Accident Lawyer Fight for You
The skilled truck accident attorneys at [Law Firm] have helped clients throughout Houston and all of Texas recover millions in compensation after catastrophic crashes. We conduct a thorough investigation, aggressively negotiate with insurers, and are not afraid to take a case to trial if needed. Take the first step by scheduling a free consultation today to discuss your options. We will travel to you if needed. You deserve justice.